Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Transformers from the Moon

Recently the wife and I took the kids to see "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" (that really is the title I guess, not "Dark Side...").  I used to have some Transformers when I was growing up and watched the cartoon as well.  I really enjoyed the first one, the second one was ok, so I was unsure about this one coming into it.  Just as with the second one though I found it to be ok, and for many of the same reasons.The best thing about the movies is seeing the Transformers themselves.  The production crew did an incredible job getting them to look great, and the transformations are visually stunning.  Seeing them "live" on screen was pretty cool.

As for the movies themselves, they have never had great plot lines, though the first one in my opinion was the best.  This last one was again weak in my opinion, and honestly for the first time I felt that it was a bit out of place.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great.  I mean if they were meant to rendezvous with this other Prime to bring their world to earth from the start, shouldn't that have been a focus before the third movie maybe?  Anyway, it wasn't horrible.

The acting was ok, and many of the same faces returned.  Sam was decent, and the voice of Optimus is perfect still, and while it was a bit odd seeing someone other than Megan Fox as Sam's girlfriend the situation was just a bit weird.  It worked and they explained bits of it in a manner that filled the gaps well enough, but it seemed just to be a bit forced really.  I would much rather have had continuity with Fox returning again.  Still though the new leading lady worked out alright though she won't get any Oscars from the performance either.

In the end don't expect more from this one than the second one, or even the first for that matter.  The acting is ok, the storyline is not horrible, but really what you're going to see is the action sequences and the special effects with the Transformers themselves.  This one as with all the others had plenty of action sequences and there were plenty of new transformers, including plenty of new ones.  The movie isn't spectacular but it is enjoyable in its own way, so if you're a fan of the series or of Transformers when you were a kid, check it out.  If not, well then that is up to you to decide.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this movie was better than the last one.

    My review for all three movies has been 5 words long:

    GIANT ROBOTS BLOW SHIT UP

    ReplyDelete