Monday, August 22, 2011

EA Sports - NHL12

Here soon the demo for EA's NHL 12 game will be released, and soon after that the actual game will be coming out and I think thanks to a great wedding gift we got (a gift card to Amazon) I'll be getting the game once again this year.  Of course the wife could talk me out of it since I have NHL 11, but each year they change the game a bit and each year the new game becomes the next "best hockey game out there."  I have been playing this franchise, though not every year of it but close to, for a decade now and I honestly think that not only is there no one close in terms of hockey games, but the EA NHL games are the best sports games out there period.

I look forward to this year's version continuing this trend.  Last year the "Be a Pro" mode was introduced and it will be continued this year.  That is likely the single best play style I've had the chance to play.  In that mode you actually take on the role of your player, starting in the juniors and getting drafted, then earning your way from the AHL to the NHL and playing out your career.  While your player is on the ice you play them.  If your player is on the bench ... or in the box ... you watch just as if you were there.  By far my favorite mode to play in.
There are many things also coming to this year's version of the game as well.  A ramped up physics engine is on its way.  That engine includes players checked into the bench and through the glass.  Also for the first time ever goalies are live.  Players now instead of bouncing off a magical barrier can bump into goalies and run them over, though penalties can occur from that.  Likewise the battles in front of the net will actually be battles this year and those screens impact the goalie's ability to see and stop the puck unlike in years past.

The AI is also being updated.  There will be more anticipation and less just reacting this year.  This is a really good thing as plays such as cross ice passing will become more difficult and realistic.  Last year you could pass across the ice and then the defense would react.  This year a defender may "read" that pass and step into the passing lane to intercept the pass.  This also affects transactions from offense to defense as a player may read that their team is getting the puck and turn up ice before the actual touching of the puck which was the key for that action last year.

Then there are also improvements to the "Be a Pro" and "Be a GM" modes as well as many other areas of the game.  Presentation is also improved and the Winter Classic has been added to the game this year as well.

I'm certainly excited to see the new game, but that leaves me with a very important question.  What position and style is my character going to be?  Last year's game I started with a defensive defenseman.  This position is certainly not one that I'd play in real life as I'm not the best skater and all that fun stuff, but thus the joy of the game.
Perhaps I'll play that position again.  I enjoy sitting back and being responsible, occasionally jumping into the play where I see the chance to.  I also like throwing the occasional big hit against that forward coming into my zone.  I like playing forward as well though.  I like shooting the puck and trying to create so perhaps a scoring forward.  Then again I love the battles in front of the net and the physical play so perhaps a power forward.

I don't think it is really going to matter in the end though as I'll probably end up playing at least parts of seasons with most positions.  I'm certainly leaning towards the power forward right now, but that can change.  What I do know for sure is that I'm looking forward to seeing this next version of the best sports game franchise out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment