Thursday, September 1, 2011

Taking on the Pros - Fantasy NFL Draft

Ok, so it's not "pros" that I'm up against but a good friend of mine formed a fantasy football league this year to compete against friends and family and asked me to join, so I did.  While I'm certainly no where near as knowledgeable about the NFL as they are, I threw my hat in the ring and jumped into the draft with little preparation at all.  I'm somewhat happy with my team, though I'd love opinions from more knowledgeable people, but I'll be the first to admit that I took some chances that maybe I shouldn't have.

The draft was fun and interesting, and there was plenty of chatter going on, so I have high hopes for a very entertaining season as I get my rear kicked by those who actually follow the NFL unlike myself.  I was disappointed when I jumped in and found that I would be drafting 9th as that ruled out a couple of players that I had wanted to grab such as Vick and Foster, but I made do.  Without further ado though, here are my draft selections this year.
Rd1-#9 : Drew Brees (QB) - While I had wanted to go RB going into the draft unless Vick was available initially, I changed my mind and instead went with Brees in NO.  Good for a great number of yards each year he also throws a lot of touchdowns as well.  His picks doubled last year from the year prior so I hope to see him correct that, and he has been sacked more with each passing year and I hope to see that change also.

Rd2-#12 : Chris Johnson (RB) - If this were a personality contest this guy wouldn't be drafted.  I don't like him as a person but he is a great back.  He is capable of huge numbers and touchdowns.  This is my riskiest pick however as he currently is holding out for more money.  He needs to get signed and be in form for the season or this pick could ruin me.

Rd3-#29 : Dez Bryant (WR) - At this pick I had a number of options such as Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne, both potential great picks but Manning's status scared me off (though perhaps I should have grabbed Wayne anyway).  With Calvin Johnson gone just the pick before I found myself looking at the two receivers and decided on Bryant.  Speaking of Manning and Wayne, they went in the next two picks to the owner drafting at #30 and #31.

Rd4-#32 : DeAngelo Williams (RB) - In this spot it came down to a choice between Williams and Blount, and after polling the crowd and getting a "Blount" reply from Jeremy I decided to avoid his tricks and go with Williams ... but was it a trick and did I make the right choice?  :)

Rd5-#49 : Marques Colston (WR) - There was little time taken to grab Colston up at this pick.  I think he could produce some big numbers this year.

Rd6-#52 : Dallas Clark (TE) - Seeing Jahvid Best taken just the pick before mine I instead move my attention to filling the TE position, and despite earlier fears about Indy I took Clark as he is one of the better TEs in the league.

Rd7-#69 : Brandon Marshall (WR) - Despite not having defense or kicker filled I wasn't worried so passed on those still this round.  Brandon Lloyd was taken just before my pick (notice a trend here?) so I went with another Brandon ... Marshall.  I expect Marshall to have a bit of a bounce back season from last season, at least in terms of touchdowns.  Btw, did you know he was stabbed by his wife this offseason?  Neither did I.

Rd8-#72 : Vernon Davis (TE) - Grabbing another TE I went with Davis as he has been described as San Francisco's "best player" in the preseason and shows some good talent.  He could be my starter in the position when the first week rolls around.

Rd9-#89 : Reggie Bush (RB) - Wanting to grab another running back but not having a lot of options on the board that I was familiar with or liked, I took another risk in the position by grabbing Bush.  He has gotten good time in Miami and time will tell how this one turns out.

Rd10-#92 : Santana Moss (WR) - I nearly picked defense here, and maybe should have as I saw the Packers go shortly after my pick, but instead I wanted to get another WR for my bench.  I took Moss as he should be a reliable guy there.

Rd11-#109 : Ravens (D/ST) - Finally deciding that I shouldn't wait any longer I got a defense that is pretty dang good from year to year.  I question the special teams part a bit, but the defense should definitely be solid.

Rd12-#112 : Michael Crabtree (WR) - Taking another risk, and another 49er, I grabbed Crabtree.  The '9ers don't have a good QB so this may not work out, but Crabtree has talent and if he plays a full season should produce good numbers and I felt he was worthy of a late round risk.

Rd13-#129 : Lions (D/ST) - Perhaps a bit off the board with this pick having other options still out there, and perhaps a risk in some eyes, I have no doubt that Suh will dominate this season and his presence will lead a defense that will be better than some expect.  Again, not sure about the special teams but they could surprise as well.

Rd14-#132 : Alex Henery (K) - After hinting that no one would take my kicker so I wasn't worried about waiting and getting at least one person's interest in who my "secret kicker" was I finally revealed the secret and took my kicker.  Best kicker I've seen play outside of the NFL, and potentially one of the best this season and going forward.  A kicker that is automatic and has a good leg that will get me good points.

Rd15-#149 : Roy Helu (RB) - At this point my inexperience and lack of NFL knowledge really was apparent, however one name I did know and had heard that he had a good camp and was second on the team depth chart.  I was also familiar with his game from his days at Nebraska, so I took the Husker Helu.

Rd16-#152 : Jacoby Ford* (WR) - Somehow my "autopick" got turned on prior to this selection so I ended up with Ford despite wanting to grab my backup QB here.  After the draft I went out and got my guy though, another guy that has had a good camp.  His problem is he plays for the Browns and as such could suffer from that.  Who is he?  Colt McCoy.  (Hope the change in waiver priority doesn't hurt me down the road.)  I could have gone with Orton, Henne, or even rookie Cam Newton, but instead went with a Brown.  Hopefully he plays well, though I don't see him starting over Brees anytime soon, nor would I start anyone else over Brees barring injury or bye week though.

All in all, I'm fairly happy with things but know there are some huge risk type players in there.  I need Johnson to sign soon and get into the game to strengthen my RB position, perhaps my weakest.  I'm pleased with my quarterback and kicker, and have strong tight ends.  My receivers have some risk involved as well though I'm happy with my top 2.  My biggest weakness right now is likely the risk taken with my running backs, but who knows what waiver and trades may bring.

4 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, another league which I'm not as into but was in last year as it was organized by a co-worker had their "auto-pick" draft last night. I got a number of players that looked familiar during that pick, but perhaps the top two could have been the biggest.

    Michael Vick
    Chris Johnson (with his new contract in hand)

    Beyond that it was pretty solid as well...

    Reggie Wayne
    Dez Bryant
    Peyton Hillis
    Marques Colston
    Felix Jones
    Pierre Garcon
    Matt Bryant (K)
    NYJ
    Det

    I also got Josh Freeman who I dropped for Tony Romo (who had been dropped for Bradford by another team), and I dropped Clark (tight ends aren't valued above WR or RB in this league as there isn't a dedicated TE spot) and kicker Cundiff for RBs Green-Ellis (hear he should be good) and Tim Hightower.

    Another local Husker fan drafted Henery so I'll stick with my kicker, and my defenses are fine and I got Detroit again. I have two good QBs included one that could get tons of points ... or kill me. I have 5 strong backs so one I will be able to use as trade bait down the road. I have a decent receiving core, but perhaps I flip one of my backs for a solid receiver.

    Overall pretty happy with how the autodraft landed for me (unlike in my first Fantasy Hockey league where Yahoo was down so the live draft became a autopick and didn't result in my strongest roster there). I'd love feedback though from more knowledgable folks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the live draft, I think you can't go wrong with Drew Brees, and you got two top-ten tight ends. C.J. was a bit of a risk, but with the contract signed, has a good chance of paying off. I remember why I was skeptical of DeAngelo Williams--he's been injured a lot recently, and Blount seemed to be the safer (if less spectacular) choice. I like the WRs--I think they'll be streaky at times, but with some game-changing point totals. For the bench, Roy Helu did look really good in preseason--who knows, he could see some playing time as the year goes on. And even though he's now on your team, I'll *still* root for Colt McCoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that sucks. Lose one of my starting WR in both leagues in the first game of the season to a broken collarbone?!? Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete