Sunday, March 6, 2011

Plenty of Movies During a Busy Weekend

Still got tons of stuff to do before the big date (and the second slightly smaller date on which we'll hold the reception), but did get quite a bit accomplished this past week and got the tux figured out Saturday.  As I said, plenty to do still but a trip to Denver soon should help wrap up a bit more.  As such, this weekend we did get to watch a few more movies which I'll take a moment to comment on here.  Actually we ended up watching four movies (and again I love RedBox and Netflix instant play) which did cut into our time for sleep a bit but that's ok I suppose.

The first movie we watched we actually got for the kids as they have been wanting to see it ... "Avatar: The Last Airbender".  I had seen earlier in the day that it won the Razzie for worst picture of the year so I had little hope for it despite the fact that it doesn't take a great deal for me to enjoy a movie ... I just have to be entertained ... and despite knowing that 80% of reviews that I ever see or read I don't agree with.  (That statement is in itself a bit humorous to me given that here I am reviewing movies and giving my opinions on them.)

First off the movie is based on a cartoon (and if that is based on something I honestly don't know) but you don't have to watch the cartoon to get clued in here.  Essentially there are the four elements and there are people who can control one of those elements.  Those people are separated into their cultures and are generally somewhat separated from the others.  Then there is the single Avatar, capable of controlling all four elements, who is responsible for keeping balance.  The basics of the plot are that the Avatar had disappeared and the fire nation went about taking over and suppressing the other nations, entirely wiping out the Air Benders.  One day the Avatar re-appears at one of the Water Bending clans.  He befriends a water bender but is soon captured by the Fire King's son.  The son of the Fire King has been exiled and told only to return with the Avatar so he is trying to find the Avatar before the rest of the fire clan.

The Avatar escapes with the help of the water bender he befriended, then they begin an adventure to the northern water clan to get him trained in the element of water.  (He had run away from his responsibilities and not finished his training previously.)  There is some battle with fire clans as he helps to liberate some earth villages on his way and eventually it ends up with a battle at the northern clans after he has had some training there.  In the end you find that it is only really partially an ending as he is now only trained in two elements and the Fire Kings daughter is taxed with dealing with the Avatar at the end.

Overall it was much better than I had expected.  The characters weren't bad (not entirely great either) though I did really like the character of the Fire King's brother who throughout the movie was the man who watched over the King's son and was a voice of reason throughout.  The action of using the elements in a dance/martial arts style method was pretty neat as well.  I enjoyed it and at some point will probably watch the next one if ever made with the kids, but just keep in mind if you watch it that it is more a young adult/kid type movie or for someone whose "niche" is that type of movie.

Given that I typed quite a bit for that movie I'll try to condense the next few reviews.  Up next was to be "Splice", but a preview of the new "Lost Boys" and a second thought about if we wanted the kids to watch "Splice" and we instead found "The Lost Boys" on Netflix.

I LOVE "The Lost Boys".  Yes, it is definitely a movie of the 80s but it is still great and one of my favorite vampire movies of all time.  I love the characters, the humor is great, the music was great (I own the soundtrack) ... the whole thing is just fun from start to end.  I will end up watching the next couple because of the first without high hopes for them, but the original is a classic for me.

Next up was "The Backup Plan".  Jennifer Lopez basically plays a woman who has never been able to find Mr. Right so gets some frozen sperm to have a kid.  Of course that day she finds Mr. Right and the chaos from those two events unfolds through the rest of the movie.  Overall it wasn't a bad movie, nothing great but not bad certainly.  The characters were ok, there were some funny moments here and there and turns in the movie to keep it interesting ... and in the end one that is worth checking out some time but isn't going to be winning any awards for best anything either.



The movie was ok.  The characters I didn't really care about at any time and in fact were a bit annoying at times.  Watching the creature grow up and morph was a little neat, but other than that it wasn't much more than a standard run of the mill movie that fits in with so many others in this genre.  As I said, it was ok and doesn't need avoided but it isn't anything great either.

So there it is.  Four movies watched this weekend and four reviews.  We did also watch a half hour IMAX show on flight which focused on the Blue Angels as well which brought back memories of watching an air show as a kid and spurring a desire to see another with the family ... but that is for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment