Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Huskers in the Draft

It was a pretty decent draft for the Huskers this year.  With no real star power on offense, and a defense that has some good players but few true stars as well, having 7 players taken is a pretty good day. 

The first of the group, and highly rated cornerback, was Prince Amukamara.  Being a shutdown corner I was hoping he would go to Detroit who could use his skills.  Despite being a 49ers fan growing up I have rooted for the Detroit Lions for a while (despite the bad years or maybe because of them) and then when Suh went there last year Detroit actually got much more of my attention than the '9ers.  Having another Husker on the team would have been nice but Detroit instead got another defensive tackle who is supposed to make that defensive line one of the best in the league.  Instead though Prince fell to the Giants at 19th.  Unfortunately I will wish him the best but can't root for the Giants.

The next Husker taken was Roy Helu Jr. in the 4th round.  He, along with Dejon Gomes and Niles Paul, all went to the Redskins.  Having three players go to one team, and one (Helu) that I enjoyed watching a good deal, will have me rooting for the Skins a bit more, but they still aren't one of my favorite teams.  Still I wish them luck and a good season.

Also taken in the fourth round was kicker/punter Alex Henery.  I will honestly miss Henery, a strange thing to say about a kicker perhaps, but I really will.  He was an excellent kicker and punter, very precise and accurate.  I remember many important field goals he kicked and I remember just how much a weapon he was punting the ball and angling kicks to pin teams deep as well.  Now an Eagle, he will have to beat out Akers for the kicker spot and has competition as punter as well, however knowing Henery and his talent I think he could be doing both jobs next year, at least at some point.

The last two taken were lineman Keith Williams to Pittsburgh and defenseman Eric Hagg to Cleveland.  Linemen don't get the recognition they deserve, and I'll admit that, so naturally I will miss the "peso position" player Hagg on defense next year.  I'll be able to root for him as I have no ill will for the Browns (and wish them good seasons).

So overall many of these players went to a division that I don't much care for and thus while I wish them good seasons and careers I really don't care to see their teams do all that great.  The couple taken in the AFC I wish good luck to as well.  None of them went to my top few teams that I prefer rooting for when I watch, but then again none went to the Broncos or Cowboys either so that's a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment