Tuesday, May 24, 2011

From Around the League

I've done a post on players I hate, and I've done posts on my favorite Avs of all time as well as Avs players that I'm glad to have seen move on, so naturally it would make sense to do a post of players around the league that I like that don't play for Colorado.  At first I thought that I would just throw maybe ten names give or take out and do a little on them, but then I changed my mind.  Instead I'm going to look at all 29 other teams and see who on those teams I enjoy watching or really like.  Thus since this is going to be a long enough post I won't waste anymore with the introduction and jump right into the first team, alphabetically of course.

Anaheim : This team actually has a top line that I enjoy watching.  Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry combine great skill and tons of grit in one of the better lines in the NHL.  I can't say that I put any one of them above another but as a line they are fun to see out there.

Atlanta : The first Eastern conference team on the list exposes the fact that I don't see a ton of Eastern games unless they are one of the "top" teams or playing Colorado, however I'll still find those players for these teams.  For Atlanta it would probably be Dustin Byfuglien that I would name.  He is tough and has a cannon of a shot, however I'm not overly fond of him either.  It is likely Evander Kane will become the man here as early as next year for me, but again seeing this team as little as I do and not having any real marque players makes this one a tougher pick than the rest.

Boston : Zdeno Chara has one of the hardest shots in the league.  He is also huge.  It is probably more so the latter than the former in this choice.  When he is out there it is known.  His presence is beyond that of most other players because of his size, but he can control the play in his own zone and is good in the offensive zone as well.  Tim Thomas also gets an honorable mention here as I enjoy his story of not making it, going to Europe, and coming back and just being an outstanding goalie since.

Buffalo : Ryan Miller, and it isn't even close, is my favorite Sabre.  I loved watching him in the Olympics but have admired his game and his ability for a number of years.  One of the best goalies in the league in my opinion and someday it would be nice to see him play for the Cup.  With ownership willing to spend money in Buffalo now maybe he'll get that shot.

Calgary : I'm not a fan of the Flames but I do have a respect for Jarome Iginla.  He's a player that I would love on the Avalanche.  He plays hardnosed hockey and is talented offensively scoring tons of goals every year.

Carolina : Eric Staal is just one of the many Staal brothers in the league.  I don't get to see him much but he has skill.  Jeff Skinner with the rookie season that he had though is on the verge of surpassing Staal as the guy I'll keep my eye on for the Canes going forward though.

Chicago : The Hawks have a number of good players, however I don't really feel myself drawn to any of them.  The skill of Kane and Toews however is enjoyable to watch at times and as such they would probably be the two I'd bring up as any fan of the Hawks likely would as well.

Colorado : Go see those posts.

Columbus : Rick Nash is a skill guy with good size and great ability.  It is a shame to see the lack of talent around him because this guy could do wonders with a supporting cast.

Dallas : You know there is really no one on Dallas that I care to watch, so by default I'll throw in Kari Lehtonen.  Injuries have hurt his career but I've always thought if he could stay healthy he could be a game changing goalie.  He has the skill, but he also can't stay off the IR though perhaps this past season changes that for him.

Detroit : For a team I hate they certainly have a number of great players and have for years (and will for many more).  Lidstrom is one of the best defensemen to ever play while Datsyuk and Zetterberg are insanely skilled players in all areas of the ice with and without the puck.  Being Red Wings I can't openly like them, however I can respect them and admire their ability ... and I would love players such as them on the Avs which could explain why part of me wants to see Larsson drafted (though I'm still torn on just who I want to see them take ... but that's for another post another day).

Edmonton : The Oilers have been a bad team for a while, however they have some young kids that could be exciting to watch coming up.  Personally Taylor Hall is fun to watch and shows why he was a #1 pick, and Magnus Paajarvi is a guy that I was looking at as a possible Avs draft pick a few years ago so I'm curious to see how he comes along.

Florida : Tomas Vokoun is a great goalie that carries a poor Florida team.  I would love to see his talents brought to Colorado but I don't know that the Avs will give him the shot at the Cup that he wants right now, nor do I think they'll give him the years either with the upcoming CBA needing extended or reworked.  I am also interested in how Kulikov comes along on their blueline.

Los Angeles : Drew Doughty on the blueline and Anze Kopitar up front are two great pieces for the Kings and both are very entertaining to watch.  They each bring a high level of skill to the ice and are going to be great for years to come.

Minnesota : Andrew Brunette is a guy many Avs fans didn't want to see go.  He isn't a star, and he isn't flashy, but he is a hard worker and he is incredible behind the net.

Montreal : The Canadians are another team where finding someone that I really enjoy watching or like as a player just isn't easy ... and after not being able to just throw a name out there I think I'll pass on this one for now.

Nashville : It shouldn't be a surprise that this pick doesn't come from the forwards.  Shea Weber and Ryan Suter are two of the best defensemen in the game and truly control games.  Suter gets overlooked at times because Weber has the more offensive game, but both are incredible on the blueline in Nashville.

New Jersey : I have always respected Brodeur, though Roy is the better of the two.  He has been a great goalie even if you want to credit the team or system, and while he has lost a bit he is still dang good.  Kovalchuk is also electric on the ice and is a pure scorer.  He had a bit of a rough season, sure, but he'll be back because he knows how to find the net.

New York Islanders : John Tavares is a great player.  While I'm happy to have Duchene, there is no denying that Tavares has skill and is exciting to watch as well.  Hopefully the Island can keep him there for many years to give that fan base something to be excited about.

New York Rangers : Mark Staal is a great player along the blueline for the Rangers.  He's not flashy or offensive, but he's good back there and I think guys like that are generally under appreciated unless they play for your team.  Chris Drury also has a sentimental tie with me stemming from his Avalanche days and the way he would show up at key times for the club.

Ottawa : Damn you Craig Anderson for giving up in Colorado!  I knew you could have been the guy for the Avs!  Anyway, as for those I like to watch or enjoy on Ottawa, there really aren't many.  I've never been a big fan of Alfie or Spezza, however the young kid Karlsson on the blueline has caught my attention a bit and I'm curious to see how he comes along next year and beyond.

Philadelphia : The Flyers have a trio of top notch forwards that are fun to watch, each playing the game in a slightly different way but all are fun to watch.  Those are Danny Briere, Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter.  They do have a few other players that I enjoy watching as well, but those are my top three.  Honestly given that I like watching as many of their players as I do it's a bit surprising that they aren't my second team regularly.  (Next season I'm thinking about Florida or the Islanders being that team for the year.  I'll make a "girlfriend team" post later as well.)

Phoenix : Shane Doan is a hell of a leader on the Coyotes.  He plays a gritty style with a little offensive talent thrown in, but it is his grit and leadership which have brought me to like Doan.  Yandle is also another of those reliable all around defensemen that is extremely overlooked around the league as is evidenced by his absence from the Norris voting this year.

Pittsburgh : Love him or hate him, and I'm one to like him but not be enamored with him, Crosby is immensely talented.  One of the best in ages and his skill and ability to lead a team is unreal.  He's fun to watch when he's on the ice.

San Jose : I've always been a fan of Marleau and I haven't enjoyed watching his postseasons or the lack of Shark success (I'm actually a bit of a Shark's fan as well).  Even with that said I'm still a fan of his.  I also really enjoy watching Dan Boyle score overtime winners for the Avalanche ... but seriously I enjoy his game on both ends of the ice as well and he seems like a real solid leader as well.

St Louis : Why did we have to ship Shattenkirk off again?  I have followed him coming up through the league and was excited by his play in Colorado and hated seeing him leave (I still need my Blues Kirk jersey).  He instantly became my favorite Blue following the trade, with Stewart there just behind him.

Tampa Bay : No, I haven't jumped the Stamkos bandwagon though he is a great player.  I have, however, always like Lecavalier and his play.  I also really enjoy watching the diminutive Martin St. Louis play.  He's small in stature but huge in skill and is a great skater.  He is just fun to watch out there and is skilled offensively.

Toronto : Perhaps it is because the Leafs get so much league attention especially from Canadian markets despite the lack of success in many years but there really isn't anyone on that team that I really find fits for this post.  Perhaps in years to come, perhaps not.  They don't really have any prospects that I'm thrilled about or following either.  That isn't to say there aren't some good players there and in the system, just that I'm not really concerned with them.

Vancouver : There's Keith Ballard, a guy that I would have liked to have seen the Avs keep because he isn't bad and I would have enjoyed seeing the name on the jersey, but beyond that there isn't anyone on that team that I really like.  There's skill-a-plenty there, I mean they are a win away from the Cup Finals, but skill doesn't make someone like them.  There are guys that I wouldn't mind seeing in Colorado jerseys as well ... but until that happens I'm not rooting for a single one of them.

Washington : Ovechkin, the Great 8, is one of the most exciting and electrifying players in the league.  His skill is through the roof and he is an incredible entertainer.  While if you went on skill and leadership alone Crosby might edge him out, though it is close, but if you add in entertainment value and energy Ovechkin is certainly one of the funnest players in the entire league to watch.

So there it is, a player or two from nearly every team that I enjoy watching or truly like as players.  Sure, not every team has that guy I really enjoy, and some teams are a bit thin, but there are plenty of players throughout the league that I enjoy.  There also isn't a set position, and while forwards and star players may be the most numerous role players, defensemen, goalies, and under appreciated players are also on the list for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment