Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Free Agent Frenzy!

Each year as the NHL season draws to a close, much as it is now with only 1 or two games left in the season this year depending on the outcome of tonight's game, there are two major dates in the following weeks that keep the attention of hockey fans a bit longer.  The first is the NHL Draft which I will have a couple posts on in the coming weeks and then following up with thoughts about it afterwards.  The second date is July 1st, and it is that date every year that I can remember.  That date is the date that teams can once again begin signing free agents for the coming seasons.

This year is much like all others, with a great number of players that would fill lower lines available and looking for teams, and it is also similar in that there are a number of bigger name players that could make a huge impact with a new team this coming year also available.  While I strongly, strongly believe that the Avalanche will be very quiet in free agency again this year, instead choosing to develop talent from within and sign their own players that have expiring contracts, I do think they may bring in one or two players, and definitely a goaltender during this time.  There will be plenty of names moving to new teams though, and this post is to just touch on a number of them and give my thoughts about where they might end up.
Josh Harding (G) : Last years salary $1.2M, Age 26 : Harding is a guy that fell on some hard times with the injury bug.  Prior to that he showed that he was a very capable goalie with a bright future.  It was joked that he would be perfect for the Avs based on the injury issues and the number of man-games the team lost to injury last year, but I think that he could indeed be someone the Avs look at next year.  He is still young, has potential, and would be a cheap option that they would likely be able to sign for a year or two as he proves himself coming off the injury, just what the Avalanche front office will likely be looking to do as the new CBA isn't in place yet.  My guess : Colorado or Minnesota on a 1-2 year contract

J-S Giguere (G) : $6M, 34 : Giguere lost his starting job in Toronto and certainly won't be getting the kind of money he did last year.  My Guess : Phoenix or Florida

Ilya Bryzgalov (G) : $4.25M, 30 : Though his rights were traded to Philly recently he still becomes a UFA if they don't sign him by July 1.  He'll be commanding big money limiting the teams that could sign him.  My Guess : Philly finds a way to fit him in

Tomas Vokoun (G) : $5.7M, 34 : One of the best available he'll likely be looking for a winner to get a shot at the cup after being in Florida for so long.  Tampa could be that place for him.  My Guess : Tampa Bay

Ian White (D) : $3M, 26 : I'll begin the list of many good defensemen available this offseason with White.  He played well in San Jose this season.  Detroit has been rumored to perhaps be interested but I think SJ tries to keep him.  My Guess : San Jose

Sami Salo (D) : $3.5M, 35 : One of many free agents from the Canucks blueline Salo is getting up there in years and likely will hit the market.  Someone should sign him for his offense.  My Guess : Detroit

Kevin Bieksa (D) : $3.75M, 29 : Bieksa has been very good in the playoffs, but has had off nights too.  The Nucks will try to keep him however.  My Guess : Vancouver

Christian Ehrhoff (D) : $3.1M, 27 : Vancouver won't be able to keep all their defensemen, however as much as they like I don't know that they can keep both Bieksa and Ehrhoff.  My Guess : Vancouver if they make a move to fit him, otherwise ?

Eric Brewer (D) : $4.25M, 31 : Solid on the Bolts blueline they try to keep him around.  My Guess : Tampa Bay

Scott Hannan (D) : $4.5M, 31 : Provides something that the Caps didn't have.  They work him in.  My Guess : Washington

Ed Jovanovski (D) : $6.5M, 34 : Phoenix would be wise to keep him around along with Yandle after letting Bryz go.  My Guess : Phoenix

Joni Pitkanen (D) : $4M, 26 : One of the better on the list and should be re-signed.  My Guess : Carolina

James Wisniewski (D) : $3.25M, 26 : Montreal attempts to keep their blueline intact.  My Guess : Montreal

Andrei Markov (D) : $5.75M, 31 : See above.  My Guess : Montreal

Tomas Kaberle (D) : $4.25M, 32 : Hasn't worked out in Boston the way they hoped.  My Guess : Columbus

Bryan McCabe (D) : $5.75M, 35 : Aging but still capable offensive blue-liner.  My Guess : Detroit

Michael Ryder (RW) : $4M, 30 : Hasn't been bad for Boston and if they can get him to take a bit of a discount to fit him in he might be back.  My Guess : Boston

Andrew Brunette (LW) : $2.333M, 36 : Likely will retire in Minnesota after another couple seasons.  Great behind the net.  My Guess : Minnesota

Antti Miettinen (C/LW) : $2.333M, 29 : Minnesota can't afford to let one of the only offensive pieces go.  My Guess : Minnesota

Erik Cole (LW) : $2.9M, 31 : Carolina seems to work best for him.  My Guess : Carolina

Tomas Fleischmann (C/LW) : $2.6M, 26 : Worked well with Duchene before the clots were found.  Could test the market but the Avs will try to retain him.  My Guess : Colorado

Tim Connolly (C) : $4.5M, 29 : A staple in Buffalo... My Guess : Buffalo

Alex Tanguay (LW) : $1.7M, 30 : Worked out well in Calgary and will likely remain with Iggy next year.  My Guess : Calgary

Simon Gagne (LW) : $5.25M, 30 : Likely won't fit in Tampa with Stamkos needing a raise.  My Guess : Dallas

Brooks Laich (C) : $2.067M, 27 : May be seeking an opportunity outside of Washington, but wouldn't be surprised to see him back either.  My Guess : Toronto

Ville Leino (F) : $800K, 27 : Worked out in Philly and likely won't get a huge raise which that team will need.  My Guess : Philly

Brad Richards (C) : $7.8M, 30 : Perhaps one of the most talented players on the list, and still underrated, his price tag will run a number of teams out.  Tampa could be a destination but can they fit him?  My Guess : New York, Toronto, then Tampa Bay is a long shot.

And these are just a handful of the unrestricted free agents this year.  Then beyond that you have a number of restricted free agents as well, some of them really, really big names that would be the most prized player on the market if they were unrestricted but still may see offer sheets despite the cost of getting them.  Some of those players include Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Steven Stamkos, Zach Parise, and Luke Schenn among many others.  Most of those aren't going to go anywhere ... but you never know.  It will be a long summer with plenty to watch and before long we'll be gearing up for the next season again and it will seem like the last season will have just finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment