Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Give So They May Live

Today the local American Red Cross was again in town taking their donations and of course I was there.  I'm now up to about 3 1/2 gallons given.  It's a great feeling knowing that you are doing something to help others ... and honestly I don't know why more people don't give.

Some quick facts you may or may not have known...
  • Every 2 seconds someone in the US needs blood, and more than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
  • A single accident victim can use upwards of 100 units of blood alone.
  • 1 out of 10 people admitted to the hospital need blood.
  • Only 38 percent of the population is eligible to donate and only about 8% of those actually donate, or about 3% of the total population.
A couple of years ago I got a card from the Red Cross.  This card is the only one I have seen or ever heard of anyone donating ever getting.  It told me that I had helped to save the life of a 18 year old man who had suffered from Renal failure (kidney failure).  This was an awesome card to get and reaffirmed my belief that giving blood is a good and right thing to do.  I understand why more of these cards aren't sent out given that most times you will never know who you will help, but when they can here is something that I wish the Red Cross did more of and would likely encourage more people to give or continue giving.

There will always be a need for blood, and it doesn't last forever so continuing donations is a must.  Everyone who can give should, but instead it isn't uncommon to hear of blood shortages because so few people give and so many need it.  I encourage everyone who can to seek out their local Red Cross and donate.  You never know who you'll save, and someday there is a good chance you or someone you know will need blood given freely as I have done and as I encourage everyone else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment