Friday, January 28, 2011

On the Ice - Wanting to Return

It has been a couple of years now since I have last played hockey and man do I miss it.  I first got started playing when a co-worker and friend moved from my hometown to a city a couple hours away and began playing.  It wasn't hard for him to convince me to start as well.  That for me however meant a two hour drive each direction and often on days where I worked that day and would have to again the next morning.  It was also through the winter that I would have to drive and often that meant on snowy or even icy interstates and I did have one accident in all that driving that totalled my car and luckily nothing else.  Needless to say those things eventually led to me not being able to continue playing.  I have always wanted to return to the ice though, either moving closer to a rink or beginning that legthy and sometimes dangerous drive again.

Why would I want to start driving 4 hours a night on game nights again though, or why would I be willing to move closer to a city with a rink just to play one might ask.  Well, here are some of my reasons...
  • Stepping onto the ice: From the instant I step onto the ice it is like there is nothing else going on.  Any stresses from work or life, any worries or problems ... they don't pass the boards.  On the ice it is just me, the other players, and the game.  Life is simple and fun.
  • Stepping onto the ice part 2:  There is something about stepping onto a clean sheet of ice, making the first cuts ... the sound, the feel ... and the air when you first get out there is cool and refreshing.
  • The Sounds of the Game: There are a number of sounds during a game which I enjoy.  From the sound of a puck hitting a stick to the on-ice communication between teammates to the ping of a puck fired off of a post ... the sounds that actually are occuring during play are lost on those that have never seen a game live or played...
  • The physical play: Even though our league was a "non-contact" league (and probably a good thing for someone who was new to it like I was), there was still a good amount of contact in little battles for the puck or when fighting for position in front of the net.  Being in these physical battles is very fun.
  • Being part of the team: There is no question that there are people who take it too seriously, and there are ice-hogs that always want to be on the ice and don't rotate off as much as they should ... but there are also those "veteran" guys that are there offerring encouragement and advice and are true team players.  I know I've been fortunate with getting some great teammates and some really good "veteran" types on my teams before.  No matter how the team is made up though you are a team.  There is no doubting the comradary that forms as you battle it out against your opponents week after week and the wins and losses come as a team, not as individuals.
  • The bench: This probably sounds like an odd one ... and in a way it might be until you combine it with being part of a team.  A lot happens on and from the bench, mostly rest between shifts and talk.  When on the bench there is almost always talk going on ... whose up next, what someone saw from a previous shift, something to try, encouragement for your next shift and of course shouted encouragement to those on the ice.  Even when on the bench the game is still very much going on for you.
  • The lockerroom: Wether one team or both teams are in the locker room it is a place where everyone is relaxed and gathered preparing to play something that everyone is passionate about, or after the game a place where everyone is talking about the game that just happened, good and bad.  It is a place where the outside world only exists in good ways and the game is just moments away or moments passed.
  • The emotions of the game: There are so many emotions that go on during a game.  Anticipation when you are getting ready to go.  Excitement and joy as you're skating up the ice.  Frustration when something goes wrong.  Anger when a bad call is made.  Disappointment when you fall behind.  Joy when your team scores ... and an even greater joy when you are involved in that score.  There are so many emotions that go on during a game that it is a bit like a roller coaster but in the end it is one that you are extremely glad you got on no matter how it turns out.
Maybe one of these days I'll be able to return to the ice.  Until then I'm just going to have to settle for watching hockey and looking for chances to play where I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment